We are one day away from my favorite holiday!!! Yay!! Coming up on Thanksgiving weekend, while everyone is spending time with family and friends and binge eating absurd amounts of food, I figured I’d share a solid post-thanksgiving recipe that is seasonal, healthy and super easy to make so it’s a nice break for those of us who have been cooking non stop for what seems like weeks, Crockpot Vegan Butternut Squash Curry.
This recipe takes only about five to ten minutes of prep and then you just sit back and let your Crockpot work it’s magic. If you don’t have a Crockpot, this will take a little more effort but not too much longer, instead of putting the ingredients in a Crockpot and leaving to go Black Friday shopping, you’ll have to bring them to a boil in a pot and cook until they’re soft. Trust me though, just do yourself a favor and buy a Crockpot, you won’t be sorry.
This recipe is delicious! I actually made two batches and Andrew and I froze the second half to last us for lunches the next week and it was amazzzing! It’s the perfect thing to have people just grab bowls of on a busy day if you have a group to feed, or to have for lunch all week if you only have two of you to feed like me!
The coconut milk adds a delicious creaminess to this recipe without any of the upset stomach (for me at least) that comes with eating dairy. The spices in this and the fresno peppers add the perfect amount of flavor and spice and it’s absolutely delicious served over rice!
I won’t take up any more of your time today! Everyone get out there and binge eat over the next few days and stay tuned next week for pumpkin recipes … YUM! Thanks so much for stopping by and please just take a minute to tell us if you like the recipe, we appreciate feedback. Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Jackie & Andrew
Crockpot Butternut Squash Curry
The perfect, post-Thanksgiving easy meal to make! Made with seasonal, delicious butternut squash and loaded with complex curry flavors.
Author: Jackie DeSana
Recipe type: Dinner, Stew, Crockpot
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Indian, Curry
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 3 fresno peppers, (substitute for jalapenos if you can't find them)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 cloves, garlic, minced
- 2 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 tbs turmeric
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add in the onions, ginger and garlic and sautee until the garlic becomes fragrant and the onions become translucent. Add in the fresno peppers, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin and curry powder and stir until the onions are fully coated in all the seasoning.
- Remove the onions from the heat and transfer to the Crockpot. Add in the butternut squash, poblano peppers, lentils and vegetable stock. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for four hours. When the time is done, stir the curry vigorously to ensure all the ingredients are mixed. Pour in the coconut milk and salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve by itself or over rice!