Well, we got about one day of reprieve from the frigid winter here in Chicago and now we’re back to freezing rain and word on the streets is we’re getting snow tomorrow! Ugh, it’s not even February and I am OVER it! I chose this life though so what can I do other than continue to deliver easy, warm comforting recipes like this delicious Crockpot Beef-less Mushroom Bourguignon.
Beef Bourguignon is one of those classic, comforting recipes similar to a pot roast, it’s basically a beef stew and it’s delicious. My mom never made specially Beef Bourguignon, but she was phenomenal at making stews, my personal favorite growing up was lamb. But, alas, I no longer eat lamb so I had to make this with veggies and these Cremini mushrooms are a fantastic substitute.
I used Cremini mushrooms and cut them in half for this recipe so that they come out in big chunks and give a nice meaty feeling to the dish. This recipe is also full of herbs and it has my favorite ingredient, red wine which gives it a beautiful rich flavor.
I also put potatoes in this dish because potatoes in a slow cooker are one of my favorite things! First of all, it’s potatoes and they’re the best. But second of all, when you slow cook potatoes with butter and herbs, they really soak in all the delicious flavors of the stew and it’s just perfect!
All together this dish is everything you need in the winter. It’s filling, it’s warm, it’s flavorful and most importantly it’s incredibly easy and will cook while you’re at work! So for all my busy people out there, throw it in the crockpot, walk away and come home to a house that smells like thyme and butter. YUM!
Until Next Time,
Crockpot Beef-less Mushroom Bourguignon
This recipe is the answer for cold winter days when you want to come home something warm, meaty mushrooms and soft potatoes slow cooked in a rich red wine sauce.
Author: Jackie DeSana
Recipe type: Dinner, Slow Cooker, Crockpot
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
Serves: 8 servings
- 16 oz Cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 5 yellow potatoes, diced into large chunks
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs flour
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tbs rosemary, chopped
- 5 thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add in the flour and whisk for about three minutes then slowly pour in the red wine. It will become creamy, whisk until it is no longer clumpy.
- Transfer the onions and garlic into the crockpot. Add the mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, rosemary, thyme, butter, salt and pepper, and vegetable stock into the crockpot. Cook on high for four hours or on low for eight.
*To make this recipe vegan, just use vegan butter or omit the butter all together. It's not necessary, it just adds more of a richness to the dish.