Well Thanksgiving is over and we had an awesome weekend in Detroit, binged on food, hung out with my brother’s puppy and got to explore the city a little bit. But we’re back this week with a couple of delicious and creative pumpkin recipes that will help use up any extra canned pumpkin you may have around after making pumpkin pie. Even if you didn’t make your own pumpkin pie, you can just pick up a can at any grocery store and get to work on this Savory Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna.
I came up with this recipe after attempting, and failing to make pumpkin roll and I wanted something filling that might last me and Andrew a whole week of lunches and this hit the mark. It seems like an odd combo but with all the herbs and spices mixed into the pumpkin, this is a truly great, savory match. And the kale, mushroom and ricotta filling is absolutely delicious and I honestly could’ve eaten the whole thing before putting together the lasagna.
Not only is this dish delicious, it’s incredibly easy to make. It takes right around an hour and most of it is oven time. It can also very easily be made vegan by using a cashew cream sauce instead of ricotta and either omitting the mozzarella cheese or getting shredded vegan cheese. To make cashew cream, just combine soaked cashews with non-dairy milk in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
I have a pumpkin pierogie recipe coming up later this week that is made with the same filling as this one and it’s amazing so stay tuned! I don’t have much else more to say about this recipe because I’m exhausted and brain dead from this busy weekend. If you make this recipe please comment or share on social media and as always thanks so much for supporting us! We’ll see you soon.
Until Next Time,
Savory Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna
Delicious, seasonal spin on lasagna make with savory spiced pumpkin puree and ricotta creamed mushroom and spinach.
Author: Jackie DeSana
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta, Seasonal
Serves: 15 slices
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp sage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp all spice
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 box lasagna sheets
- 2 cups chopped kale (I used frozen but you can use fresh, just double the amount)
- 16 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make the pumpkin filling by mixing together the pumpkin, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, Italian seasoning, all spice and syrup until fully incorporated. Boil the lasagna noodles in a large pot until they are cooked al dente.
- Heat the olive oil over hight heat in a large pan. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are cooked down. Add in the kale and saute until its cooked down. If you use frozen kale, thaw it before and then add it to the pan. Sprinkle the kale and mushrooms with salt and pepper and toss. Spoon the ricotta cheese into the pan with the kale and mushroom and mix until it forms a creamy sauce.
- In a large baking pan, lay the lasagna noodles on the bottom, then spoon the pumpkin filling and spread on top of the noodles. Then add the mushroom, kale and ricotta mix on top of the pumpkin. Top that mixture with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat this process two more times until the baking sheet is filled to the top and ensure the top layer is mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes until the cheese starts to brown.
*To make this vegan substitute cashew cream for the ricotta, or vegan ricotta if you can find it and vegan mozzarella for the diary mozzarella.