If you live in Chicago or anywhere else in the mid-west you know we are having somewhat of a December heat wave right now. I say that because it might seem like a weird week to post soup but trust me the cold will be back next week and it will be the perfect time to bust out this Vegan Creamy Potato Soup with Coconut Bacon.
I’m not kidding when I say I think I somehow made magic with this soup. Not only is it meat free, it’s also dairy free and grain free. So no matter what diet you’re on, you can almost certainly eat this. As a person who is not usually shy about cooking with flour and sugar, this is one of my proudest creations.
This soup is amazing and it’s actually super healthy! I used the cauliflower and potatoes as the creaminess and saved extra to give it a chunkiness as well, it’s absolutely perfect and it’s loaded with herbs and spices so that it has the rich and warm flavor you’re looking for this winter.
Even if it’s not cold where you live right now, this soup is perfect if you’re just having a bad week and need something comforting to sip on. It’s thick, creamy, savory and delicious. Also, let’s talk about what the coconut bacon garnish it is perfect! The marinade soaks right into the soup and adds a little extra smoky and salty flavor and it takes that shit to the next level!
You guys are going to love this recipe! It’s probably one of my favorite things I’ve made since I started the blog. If you like it please let me know in the comments or hit us up on social media and show us some love!
Until Next Time,
Vegan Creamy Potato Soup with Coconut Bacon
Insanely healthy and totally vegan potato soup made with a creamy cauliflower and potato blend and loaded with savory herbs and spices.
Author: Jackie DeSana
Recipe type: Soups, Dinners
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
Serves: 8 bowls
- 5 yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 7 garlic cloves, 4 whole, 3 minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tbs thyme, chopped
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs rosemary, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs each rosemary and thyme
- 1 tbs sage
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Coconut Bacon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Add the potatoes, cauliflower and 4 garlic cloves to a large baking sheet and toss with 2 tbs of olive oil and salt and pepper. Top with 2 thyme sprigs and 2 rosemary sprigs. Cover and bake for 25 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are both soft.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbs of olive oil and add in the onions and minced garlic. Cook until the onions become translucent. Add in the chopped parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Toss the onions and garlic in the spices until fully coated. Turn the heat down until the potatoes and cauliflowers are finished cooking.
- When the potatoes and cauliflower are soft, remove them from the oven, add half of the cauliflower and the potatoes and all 5 garlic cloves to a high speed blender. Add the non-dairy milk and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the remaining, cauliflower and potatoes to the pot with the onions and garlic and toss in the spices. Pour the cream blend over and add in the vegetable stock. Mix until smooth. If you need it thinned out you can add more vegetable stock.