Hello my friends! Guess what today is? It’s Watermelon Day yay!! I have to say I get a little annoyed with some of these random holidays you see on social media, but I think I can get behind the food ones, and there’s so many of them! I know we don’t really need an excuse to eat watermelon other than it’s summer and it’s delicious, but it’s one of my favorite fruits so I’m celebrating! In honor of Watermelon Day and summer as a whole, I made for you this light and fresh Watermelon Basil Margaritas.
I went back and forth a lot on what to make using watermelon, I had about a million ideas for different types of salads rolling around in my head but finally I decided to land on a drink. Really, watermelon is the perfect fruit to create into a drink because it’s sweet and juicy and so easy to work with! It also goes really well with my favorite type of alcohol, tequila. I also didn’t want this to just be an easy blended drink so I added basil and cucumber for a touch of plant based freshness and it paid off big time!
This drink is so perfect to sit in the backyard and sip cocktails all day! This recipe makes exactly two but you can easily just double or triple it if you’re making it for a crowd. Cheers!
Watermelon Basil Margarita
Celebrate Watermelon Day and summertime this year by sipping these sweet, bright, refreshing Watermelon Basil Margaritas!
Author: Jackie DeSana
Recipe type: Cocktails
Cuisine: Margarita, Mexican, Summer
- 1 cup watermelon, cut into chunks
- 4 basil leaves, sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced very thin
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 shots tequila
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs agave syrup
- Place the watermelon, basil and cucumber in a large shaker. Pour in the agave syrup and using a muddler, muddle the ingredients until the watermelon has released a lot of it's juice but there's still a few chunks left.
- Next, squeeze the lime juice into the shaker, pour in the tequila and the sea salt. Add in ice, cover and shake vigorously. You want to shake for about 30 seconds so the agave will get fully incorporated into the drink.
- Pour over ice in a rocks glass and serve with a basil leaf and watermelon chunk as garnish! Enjoy!